Monday, March 11, 2013

NOBODY
by
Jennifer Lynn Barnes

 
There are people in his world who are Nobody. No one sees them. No one notices them. They live their lives under the radar, forgotten as soon as you turn away.
That's why they make the perfect assassins.
The institute finds these people when they're young and takes them away for training. But an untrained Nobody is a threat to their organization. And threats must be eliminated.
Sixteen-year-old Claire has been invisible her whole life, missed the Institute's monitoring. But now they've ID'ed her, he can't make the hit. It's as if Claire and Nix are the only people in their world for each other. And they are- because no one else notices them.




Wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. Jennifer Lynn Barnes is one of my favorite authors, I absolutely adored her Raised by Wolves series and Every Other Day. But this story completely sailed over my head.
The story tells us about Nix and Claire, two people that exist in, what seems to be, another metaphysical plane. People barely notices their existence and when they do, people forget about them immediately. Claire's parents even have to tape a note in the door to their house so they can remember they even have a daughter. As for Nix, he has been trained since infancy to be an assassin.
I had a terrible time connecting to the characters. Claire has had a very sad life, but she has "trained" herself to imagine herself someplace- somewhere else every time someone ignores her. And I think that is what threw me off so much from the story and the characters. Every time Claire starts to feel bad, she imagines these situations to distance herself emotionally and it did the same to me.
As for Nix, he has always done (killed) what the Institute tell him to do. Until Claire. When he meets Claire he feels a pull so strong towards her, that he can't bring himself to kill her. But to me, the jump from hate to care was just too fast, too strong, too unbelievable. I didn't feel the chemistry in their relationship.
However, there is something to be said in the fact that I couldn't give up on this book. I just had to know what happened. The premise of the book was just too interesting, to me, to not learn what becomes of the characters.
In the end, I'm sad to say that I wouldn't recommend this book. But I definitely recommend the author. Go buy the other books by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, specially her Raised by Wolves Series.

No comments: